Today Google is commemorating the rainiest day on record with a Welly themed Google Doodle.
On this day, December the 5th in 2015 13 inches of rain fell in Cumbria in 24 hours. Now that’s a lot of rain! Google are commemorating the event with their fun little Google Doodle.
Here are 10 cool things about the wonderful world of wellies!
- The original wellington boots were actually made of leather
- 1,185,036! The number of pairs of boots Hunter Boots made for soldiers in WWI
- Seathwaite in the Lake District is the wettest place in the UK
- 1852 – The first year rubber was Vulcanised!
- Arthur Wellesley, The Duke of Wellington – the chap that Wellies are named after
- Gum boots, Rain boots, Redbands, Blucher Boots are all names for Wellies
- Le Chameau, a brand worn by Princess Kate, means “The Camel”
- Size 18! The biggest size welly Hunter made
- 52.73 metres! The Guinness World Record for Welly Wanging
- In the 20th Century Rubber was dearer than silver!
Thanks for reading.